Aquafaba Meringue Kisses
Delight in the airy and sweet Aquafaba Meringue Kisses—a vegan twist on the classic meringue cookies, extremely popular in 2023. These delightful little bites are made from the magic of aquafaba, the liquid from canned chickpeas, and take just 15 minutes of preparation time plus baking.
Aquafaba is a versatile egg substitute that is low in calories, fat-free, and cholesterol-free. These Aquafaba Meringue Kisses offer a light and sweet treat that can be enjoyed by those with dietary restrictions or allergies.
• 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas)
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Food coloring (optional)
HOW TO MAKE IT
1) Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine the aquafaba and cream of tartar. Using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat the aquafaba on medium speed until foamy.
3) Gradually add the granulated sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat the mixture on high speed. Beat until stiff peaks form, similar to traditional meringue.
4) Gently fold in the vanilla extract, ensuring it is evenly incorporated.
5) If desired, add a few drops of food coloring to the meringue mixture and gently swirl it with a spoon or spatula to create vibrant colors.
6) Transfer the aquafaba meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star tip or any desired piping tip.
7) Pipe small, bite-sized meringue kisses onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them a few inches apart.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 1-1.5 hours, or until the meringue kisses are dry to the touch and easily lift off the parchment paper. Turn off the oven and let them cool inside for another hour to firm up.
9) Once completely cooled, carefully remove the meringue kisses from the parchment paper and store in an airtight container.
10) Enjoy these delightful Aquafaba Meringue Kisses as a light and airy vegan treat.