Moroccan Chickpea Stew with Quinoa
Embark on a culinary journey with this aromatic and hearty Moroccan Chickpea Stew with Quinoa—a satisfying vegan dinner option that is packed with exotic flavors and wholesome ingredients. This comforting stew combines tender chickpeas, vibrant vegetables, and a blend of Moroccan spices, creating a nourishing and flavorful meal.
The Moroccan Chickpea Stew with Quinoa offers an array of health benefits from its nutrient-rich ingredients. Chickpeas, as the main protein source, are rich in fiber, supporting digestive health and providing a feeling of satiety. They are also packed with vitamins and minerals, including folate, iron, and manganese. The abundance of vegetables like tomatoes, carrots, and bell peppers provides essential vitamins, antioxidants, and dietary fiber, promoting overall well-being and supporting a healthy immune system. Quinoa, a gluten-free grain, offers a complete protein profile and is a great source of essential amino acids, aiding in muscle repair and growth.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 2 carrots, diced
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for heat)
• 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
• 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
• 4 cups vegetable broth
• 1 cup cooked quinoa
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
• Lemon wedges (for serving)
HOW TO MAKE IT
1) In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and fragrant.
2) Add the diced red bell pepper and carrots to the pot. Cook for another 4-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
3) Stir in the ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper (if using), coating the vegetables with the aromatic spices.
4) Pour in the diced tomatoes and cooked chickpeas, along with their liquid. Stir well to combine.
5) Add the vegetable broth to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
6) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7) To serve, ladle the Moroccan Chickpea Stew over a bed of cooked quinoa. Garnish with fresh cilantro and squeeze some lemon juice over the stew for an extra burst of freshness.
8) Enjoy this hearty and aromatic Moroccan Chickpea Stew with Quinoa, filled with exotic flavors and nourishing ingredients.