Moroccan Chickpea Tagine
Experience the rich flavors of Morocco with this aromatic and hearty Moroccan Chickpea Tagine. Prepared with a blend of fragrant spices and tender chickpeas, this vegan dinner recipe is sure to delight your taste buds. With a preparation time of approximately 30 minutes, you can enjoy a delicious and satisfying meal in no time.
Chickpeas are a fantastic source of plant-based protein, fiber, and essential minerals, supporting muscle growth, digestion, and overall well-being. The array of spices used in this tagine, such as cumin and turmeric, provide anti-inflammatory properties and contribute to immune health.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion, diced
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for heat)
• 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
• 2 cups cooked chickpeas
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1 cup diced carrots
• 1 cup diced zucchini
• 1/4 cup raisins
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Fresh cilantro, for garnish
• Cooked couscous or quinoa, for serving
HOW TO MAKE IT
1) In a large pot or tagine, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
2) Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, ground cinnamon, paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using) to the pot. Stir well to coat the onion and garlic with the spices and cook for another minute.
3) Add the diced tomatoes, cooked chickpeas, vegetable broth, diced carrots, diced zucchini, and raisins to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Cover the pot and simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded together.
5) Serve the Moroccan Chickpea Tagine over cooked couscous or quinoa. Garnish with fresh cilantro.